There are moments in life when you want to know who you really are and explore the world at the same time. It is the dream of many to be able to travel and discover new things, cultures and traditions. It is also one of the ways to become adventurous and to challenge yourself to do few things that are totally different from what you are already doing. Though a picnic with your family and friends is great, there are times when you wish you could do a solo travel. Though there are many places out there where you can engage traveling unaccompanied, I will list you world’s 20 best places to travel alone.
World’s 20 Best Places to Travel Alone
It has been said that you can only grow if you are outside of your comfort zone and if you are exposed to the real world. Hence, I believe that it is important for you to explore while you can. You must visit places and experience things that are different from what you are used to. In this case, you will not only grow personally, but will also be able to widen your knowledge when it comes to the world. You might be afraid to try travelling alone. However, there are a lot of places to travel alone, and more reasons why to.
Why Should You Travel Alone?
- Sometimes, it’s hard to coordinate your schedule with someone you want to go to a trip with, especially on a very short notice. If you have time to spend some vacation and you do not have time to look for a companion, it is best if you try to go alone rather than cancel a good opportunity for you to travel.
- If you want to do something but your friends and family is adamant to try such, do not let go of that thing without doing it. Try it for yourself still. It is not their dream, it is yours. And so you need to do it for your own satisfaction before you scratch it from your bucket list.
- Self-reflection and self-awareness are two of the best reasons why you should travel alone. There are a lot of best places to travel alone that will help you reflect and know more about yourself. You might discover some things about you that will surprise you, or you may realize some bad things about you that you need to work on and change.
- Once you travel, you can meet new people. Sometimes, traveling with a group hinders you to make new friends with others considering that your time is focused on the group you are with. However, if you are traveling alone, you will have plenty of time to look for more friends and be able to socialize more.
- When traveling with someone, you need to consider their schedule too. And believe me, it’s such a bummer. If you want to go and visit the Colossus but your companion has already planned on meeting some friends on the area, you will be forced to stay with him/her. However, if you are traveling alone, your time is clearly your own and you can go wherever you want to (as long as it’s safe) and whenever you want.
- Traveling alone will actually make you a better and more independent person. Being alone on a new place is a challenge you need to face. Once you are able to surpass the challenge of asking for directions on people who can’t understand straight English, or eating alone on a restaurant you are unsure of, and other traveling stuffs will make you more prepared for the next trips.
If the above reasons have already convinced you to travel alone, then our next stop is the list of destinations that you can go to. Yes, of course, it is a pretty time-consuming task to decide which places are safe, peaceful and adventurous to go alone. To help you with it, here are top 20 best places to travel alone. It is important that you consider the safety of the city or place you are going to because remember that you are with no one. These places are both safe and boast certain tourists spots for a lone traveler to definitely and surely enjoy.
1. Malmo, Sweden
Sweden is such a best place to travel alone. With very nice people around, Malmo is Sweden’s third largest city, which is located at the southern part of the country. If you want an active holiday, then this destination could be the ideal location for you. You can have a shopping spree at the city, or you may want to play golf on their awesome golf courses. You may even see natural landscaping through hiking and boating.
2. Marseille, France
Marseille is one of the best places to travel alone for the reason that it has tremendous culture and heritage. Being the second largest city in France, it has a population of 3 million people in the metropolitan. The city has great beaches and the best seafood meals bearing in mind that it is on the Mediterranean coast. You may also take an adventure by having boat rides to nearby islands. You may also see the telescaphe, an underwater car in the 1960s that was used to transport tourists.
3. Aran Islands
Located off the west coast of Ireland are three islands known as Aran. It is the perfect haven for you if you want to stay away from the stress of everyday life. The locals on the island are very friendly and they also have the flawless cycling get-away that you need to try. It is also home to an Iron Age fortress that is claimed as the most impressive spot all over Europe.
Though a Muslim country, Malaysia is really safe and stable which makes it as one of the best places to travel alone. Malaysia has several festivals and events filling the entire year. You can also see wild jungles in Borneo and the space-age high rises in Kuala Lumpur.
5. Bali, Indonesia
One of the best places to travel alone is Bali, Indonesia. If you want a relaxed, stress-free environment, this place should be in your list. It is already a home to yoga, organic food, beaches and spas. It is also a great place if you want to have a spiritual retreat considering that it is a Hindu island. Furthermore, the Scared Monkey Forest in Ubud is worth a visit.
6. Auckland, New Zealand
With 1,400,000 residents, Aukland is already the largest city in the entire of New Zealand. Known as the “City of Sails” due to the high number of yachts on its harbor, it also boasts beautiful beaches. You can check 3 km of pristine white beaches in Orewa. You also need to visit their natural thermal spring in Waiwera Thermal Resort.
7. Costa Rica
One of the ideal places to travel alone is Costa Rica. The locals are friendly and warm, which will make you feel safe. The place is also full of adventure if you want to do surfing, volcanoes and recreational activities. Costa Rica is a really peaceful country which will make you feel at ease once you step on their place.
8. Hong Kong, China
Even if it is a Chinese place, most of Hong Kong citizens speak English because of their British heritage way back then. It is considered as one of the safest cities in the world too. It makes you feel protected all the time. This place is really great for Tai Chi classes and their beautiful gardens.
Fiji has a welcoming demeanor and great beaches. Once you are able to go to Fiji, do not forget to visit the Nadi Municipal Market for some fresh mangoes and coconuts. Once there, you can check out the Pacific Harbour Beach and you will see pristine beach that is very much inviting you to swim.
10. Zurich, Switzerland
The place is also considered safe and it is a world leader on financial industry. Zurich has a lot of beautiful sceneries that you will definitely want to see in real life. You can check out the houses of the rich and famous on Bahnnofstrasse. The place also boasts of impressive cuisines that you should not miss.