How often should you wash your hair? This is probably one of the most frequently asked questions from many people. So, we thought why not we do some research and give a clear explanation on it. For everyone in the world, hair is the ultimate beauty. But, let us not deny the fact that hair is also something we all often fail to take care of. So, here are few things for you to note down for your everyday hair regime.
How Often Should You Wash Your Hair?
Most people take their hair very seriously. We even know few people personally, who get mad when someone touches their hair. Even if it was the slightest touch possible from their very own parents or partners, they would look at that person with glaring eyes that could make you back-off. Since hair is one of the most important — and well-loved — part of a person’s body, it is just right and proper that we take care of it more than we should. For a woman, her hair is the crown of glory. The longer and more beautiful your hair is, the more that you are treated as a woman. A hair has and will always be a symbolism of the femininity of a woman, a symbol of her nature. Now, if you are on the process of hair growth, surely you would want to know how many times should a person be washing his or her hair? Well, of course shampooing is the basic thing you start when you care your hair. More you wash, more damaged it gets. Lesser it is, no wonder the scalp becomes dirty. So, what is the right thing to do? Here, is the answer:
How Many Times Should You Wash Your Hair?
With the question how often you should wash your hair, a lot of answers came up. Each answer widely differs from the next. Some say that it should not be washed everyday while some would otherwise disagree. Some would say that you wash it by using shampoo and conditioner one after the other while others say not to use both on the same day. Truly, everyone’s ideas and answers vary. Our goal today is to help you know the real score. Here are the right answers, followed by a proper and well-researched explanation to it.
Now, let’s talk about 2 things:
- The factors that affect the time of washing and
- Important tips to maintain glorious hairs
6 Factors That Affect The Number Of Times You Wash Your Hair
To know how often to wash your hair, it is important to be aware of some vital factors that have an immense effect on the number of wash times. Knowing what these factors are, it will be easier for you to decide whether you belong to those group of people who need to wash it daily or to those people who can do their washing every other day or so.
When it comes to the question — how often should you wash your hair — hair texture is that one key factor to consider, because different hair textures have different effects on shampoo and conditioner.
- For Fine Hair: Since fine hair has lesser volumes compared to other hair textures, it becomes oily faster. So, there might be a need to wash it every day. But you should also keep in mind that washing it every day can dry your hair. Hence, always use a mild shampoo with a hydrating conditioner (which you must only apply mid-shaft up to the ends).
- For Curly Hair: People with curly hairs, most often dislike their curls. But it also comes with a good advantage compared to those having a straight one. Since the hair is curly and in waves, the oil from the scalp will have a hard time going down to the ends preventing it to become greasy without washing. For curly hairs, it is recommended to wash twice a week.
- For Thick Straight Hair: For a thick and straight hair, you may wash it every other day or 3 times a week. This will help ensure that your hair will become manageable. Also, look for a shampoo that contains keratin or argan oil for better health of your hair strands.
2. Hair Color
If you have dyed your hair with any colors, it can greatly affect the number of times you need to wash since the process of coloring your hair such as bleaching and highlighting makes your hair follicles more absorbent. It soaks up oils that are in excess and makes your hair less oily. If you have dyed your hair, you can wash your hair every 2 to 4 days.
3. Hair Styling
If you are that type of person who keeps on styling your hair, it is recommended that you don’t wash it daily. Since straightening, curling and blow drying your hair can make it become dry and damaged, it is best not to wash it to help your hair restore its moisture with the help of natural oil from your scalp. You may wash it every other 3 days — this is only enough to maintain your hair’s moisture.
4. Hair Treatments
If you have been under hair treatments, you must know that there are different washing periods specific for most treatments. You may ask a professional more about your new regimen after you have your hair treatment done. However, two most commonly used treatments are:
- Relaxed/Straightened Hair Through Chemicals: Since there have been chemicals used for your hair, it is on a very fragile state and requires proper washing as to not damage it further. For hair that has been relaxed, it is recommended that you wash your hair only once a week with the use of the mildest shampoo possible.
- Keratin-Treated Hair: There are some shampoos that contain keratin on their ingredients. Keratin helps a lot in your hair. Hence, if you have treated your hair with keratin, you do not want to wash it away, right? It is recommended to wash your keratin-treated hair every two days to ensure that you keep the treatment in your hair but also controlling the greasy feeling.
5. Skin Type
You might wonder what has skin to do with your hairs? Is there really a connection between these two? Well, you should know that your skin type also determines the condition of your scalp. If your skin is normal to dry, you might wash it twice a week. But for those whose scalp produces more oil than normal, you might need to wash it daily or every other day.
If you are an athlete or someone who exercises a lot, you might need to wash your hair daily, as oil is being excreted more by your body leaving your hair greasy and itchy. If you lived in a humid place, you may also need to wash your hair every day.