Whether it is pasta sauce or bread spreads, garlic is something we love to eat with. It adds an amazing aroma and essence to a dish. Moreover, it is good for your heart (because it is loaded with antioxidants). This is the reason why health-conscious people and even chefs around the globe prefer this ingredient. Besides being tasty, you cannot deny the fact that garlic breath has plagued us since we began digging those bulbs from ground. Though garlic’s sulphuric compounds give us great flavor and health benefits, it leaves a very unpleasant odor after consumed, which is also popularly called “Garlic Breath”. Today, we will tell you why garlic makes your mouth stink and how to get rid of garlic breath. So, let’s get started.
Why Does Your Breath Smell Bad After Consuming Garlic?
Onions, leeks, shallots and garlic belong to the plant family called “Allium”. All these species produce a chemical compound known as “Cysteine sulfoxide”, which is claimed to give them their distinctive taste and odor. There are 2 ways through which garlic can make your breath smell bad.
- First, when you consume garlic, the sulphuric compounds, entering in your mouth immediately make your breath smell bad. These odorous (or smelling) compounds stay in the mouth until you brush, scrape, floss or flush out.
- Second, garlic affects your breath through lungs. A compound named “AMS (Allyl methyl Sulfide), coming from lungs, makes your breath to smell like garlic. AMS is actually a gas that is absorbed into blood when garlic is metabolized. From your blood, it is then transferred to your lungs, exactly where it is exhaled. Some AMS is excreted from skin pores too. This is the reason why at times, it becomes hard to get rid of garlic breath. Even though you brush many times, the odor still stays when you breathe (this is because it directly comes from your lungs).
|How Long Does Garlic Breath Last?|
|Garlic and onions are appetizing ingredients, which can enhance any dish. However, their deliciousness leaves behind – bad breath. Want to know how long does the smell last in your mouth? Well, garlic’s sulphuric odor can last up to 72 hours or even more. On the other hand, it is very difficult to get rid of this smell at times. But, there are few tricks that can neutralize the smell and at the same time give your mouth a refreshing feel. So, quickly make a note of these tips.|
How To Get Rid Of Garlic Breath?
Here are 10 amazing tips to get rid of garlic breath instantly and effectively.
|Please Make A Note|
|It is best to apply these tips while you are eating garlic. So, we recommend you to add few apples or lemon juice when consuming delicious garlic dips or salads with garlic dressing.|
1. Eat Raw Apples
We all are aware of the fact that cutting an apple and leaving it out turns it brown. This happens due to an oxidating enzyme. It makes the fruit less appealing to look at. However, did you know that this enzyme also acts as a natural deodorant for bad breath? Yes, it sets out a chemical reaction that deodorizes sulphides present in garlic. So next time when you suffer garlic breath, don’t forget to eat raw apples.
2. Drink Freshly Made Lemon Juice
Lemon juice greatly works if you have consumed crushed garlic. The citric acid present in lemon juice helps in neutralizing alliinase (enzyme produced when garlic is crushed and which further gives unpleasant odors).
3. Natural Green Tea
It is not a secret that green tea has lot of natural antioxidants known as polyphenols. Just like the enzymes present in apples, even polyphenols help in covering up the smelly compounds in garlic.
4. Add Parsley To Your Dish
Parsley is one of the best herbs to get rid of garlic breath. It has chlorophyll, which gives out a natural freshness when a person breathes. Moreover, it is well known for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and few toxin-eliminating properties. Many recipes, which use garlic, often tend to have parsley as well. The reason is that it helps in neutralizing the garlic odors. However, if you have not used parsley in your dish, try chewing some after you have consumed garlic. Always chew some fresh parsley. Avoid dried herbs, as they do not have active chlorophyll.
5. Use Mustard
Yet another natural ingredient that helps in cutting down garlic breath is none other than “mustard”. Just take 1 teaspoon of it and swish it for a minute (in your mouth) before you spit out. Then swallow ½ teaspoon of it. This goes down into your stomach and kills the entire smell.
6. Have Some Minty Foods
Natural minty foods easily freshen up your breath. Mint tea, cloves, cardamom, fresh mint leaves, parsley etc helps in eliminating the odor.
7. Consume Some Vegetables
Mushrooms, carrots, lemons, potatoes and coriander are proven to enhance your breath. If you are someone, who is eating a lot of onion or garlic from your meals, then it would be wise to follow-up with the vegetables we have listed above.
8. Drink Milk
Believe it or not, during a research done in the year 2010, it was proved that drinking milk helped in reducing garlic odor from a person’s breath. Theoretically, fat portion in milk neutralizes the odors. But prefer whole milk than skim milk.
9. Chew Few Coffee Beans
Many people have claimed that chewing some coffee beans for a while and later spitting them out helps in reducing garlic breath. Perhaps, you can try this trick too…
10. Have Yogurt
Many researchers have proved that consuming yogurt (6 ounces) greatly helps in reducing hydrogen sulfide and bad bacteria in the mouth (which are also the primary causes for bad breath).
|8 Other Things You Can Do To Get Rid Of Garlic Breath|
|1. WaterPik: This is very effective in eliminating garlic compounds in between the gaps of your teeth. You can even use an oral irrigator attachment for blowing water at the back of your mouth. This removes those particles present at the back there.
2. Chew Gum: The key to eliminate bad breath is to add more saliva. And nothing can be better than chewing gums for this.
3. Drink Fluids: Lemonade, water, green tea, fruit juices are helpful in washing off the pungent smell from your mouth.
4. A Bit Of Alcohol Doesn’t Harms: Alcohol kills all the bacteria in the mouth. So, consider drinking a shot of vodka.
5. Tongue Cleaner Helps: Your tongue’s filaments trap bacteria and other tiny particles. Therefore, clean your tongue regularly using a toothbrush or tongue cleaner after each meal.
6. Brush Your Teeth: If you are someone, who frequently consumes onion or garlic, it is smart to spend few dollars on a portable toothpaste and a toothbrush because brushing is one of the surefire ways to clear odor from your mouth. But make sure to brush for 2 minutes.
7. Use A Mouthwash: We recommend you to use Listerine mouthwash or any high quality brand. Swish for at least 30 seconds before you spit out.
8. Floss: Make sure to go through all the crevices of your teeth. In fact, you should be doing this after each meal.
Hopefully, these tips on how to get rid of garlic breath helps in lowering its affects. If you have better solutions, which you feel we have missed writing here, please share them in the comment section.